May 11, 2011

Almond Milk... and CHEEEEEESE

I spent some time this morning putting together a few raw items to help me stay on the healthier track.  I am not sure if all of you know that I have lost about 27-28 pounds over the last 18 months.  It has been slow coming off but it has been the little changes that have made all the difference and I feel so much better than I did.  I still have about 12 pounds left to shed to hit goal weight.  One of things I am beginning to incorporate more and more is some vegan and raw vegan menu items.  As summer approaches it is so much easier to eat this way naturally.  

One of those changes is getting off of dairy.  I have the lactose issues and it has just made me feel better to drink non-dairy alternatives.  I have been buying them...


The thing about these is that there is often sugar added and chemicals to keep it from going bad.  They are great in a pinch and taste great, too, but when there is an opportunity to make it fresh I think I will take advantage of that from now on.  I got to enjoy the fresh stuff at that workshop I attended on Saturday and I am hooked!  It is delicious!!!

I made a sweeter version this morning using vanilla and raw agave to enjoy with my granola and as a treat when I need a little sweetness in my coffee or just a glass of "milk" for whatever reason.  Here is my stash...



Here is the "cheese" spread I made this morning to have on my raw crackers I will be making later.

Almond Cheese

2 cups nut pulp
1/2 to 1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice (fresh)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 bunch dill, cilantro, or other herbs for flavor
1 clove garlic
You can also add onion or bell pepper/red bell pepper.  I just happened not to have those on hand right now because I need a grocery run soon!  ;)

Blend all ingredients until smooth (in a blender or food processor). Use as a soft cheese dip, spread, or you can dehydrate it for a more solid cheese.  Use a cheese cloth to shape it for drying if you like.

My next project, after I get some real work done around here, is to clean up my dehydrators and start testing some cracker and chip recipes.  I could get carried away with this and take lots of pictures and share recipes so beware.  That might just happen over the coming weeks!  LOL




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I would love to try the "cheese" spread. Do you just make up your nut pulp in the food processor. What kind of nuts work best?
    I love my RiceDream but Silk is awesome. I just can't figure out how the unsweetened can have so many "sugars". Do these sugars affect our bodies the same way as refined sugar? I know, lots of questions. I lost about 30 pounds 2 years ago but most of mine has come back. Slowly.........just like I lost it. I think one of my biggest issues is dairy too. I love cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used the pulp left over from the almond milk making. I strained it all in a nut milk bag and then used the leftover pulp. I could not see throwing it away since nuts are SO expensive. I soaked my almonds overnight to soften before I even started the whole process this morning. It turned out nice and soft for using today. You can also use the pulp as an almond flour or other nut flours in baked goods or other raw recipes.

    Honestly, sugar is sugar (in the form of fructose, sucrose, lactose, etc...) and our bodies respond to it, in whatever form it comes, the same. The Raw Agave is suppose to be a low glycemic reaction but I am not sure I fully trust all the research on it yet but I have tried it and it is a nice substitute without the aftertaste that I get from stuff like Stevia.

    I am going to try to make rice milk from soaked rice pretty soon at home. I have some oat and rice milk recipes I want to try and use. It is so nice to use these over my morning granola or muesli.

    Thanks for stopping by! Questions are always welcome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete