March 01, 2012

Leap Day Flan...

I decided to make a little treat yesterday.  Living in the southwest part of the United States means that we enjoy a special cuisine.  We are a very diverse city with people from all over the world.  Some of our closest friends are from Puerto Rico and Mexico.  That means that we enjoy meals in their homes and at church with them and we get a food education when we do.  We have been enjoying something called Flan at our monthly church meals thanks to a friend from Puerto Rico.  He typically uses more of the tropical flavors in his.  I went vanilla on my most recent one.

I had a customer that requested it this past week so I got to enjoy baking that for the first time in a very long time.  My family was not happy that I made flan and had none for them!  LOL

I had the right ingredients at the end of the month so I treated them yesterday for Leap Day.  

The main things to remember about flan are... 
find a recipe you love
follow the recipe exactly
make sure not to over darken the caramelized sugar
temper the eggs slowly to make sure there are no egg chunks
strain the liquid through a sieve or strainer
start with hot liquid for your water bath 
don't over bake it
I typically under bake mine and then let it finish when it comes out of the oven. 
Let it cool thoroughly at room temperature and then run a knife around the outside to loosen it before you flip it and unmold it.  

Here is the flan I made yesterday... YUM!!!


So, have you made flan?  

What is your favorite cuisine and maybe a favorite food from that cuisine?  

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. I've eaten it and like it, but never cooked it.

    I'm half Sicilian, and Italian food will forever be my comfort food (I've never met a pasta I didn't like). But I've discovered I really enjoy the cajun/creole flavors. It must be all the butter and oil!

    I'd like to learn to cook some Indian food as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum... I love both of those. Do you make your own pasta ever? It is not as hard as some think it is. I have a little hand cranked pasta roller. I am also from Louisiana and cajun was a staple as I grew up! :) Butter... YES YES YES!!!

    I have also been on an Indian food quest recently. I am hoping to post more on this as I go and learn. :)

    ReplyDelete