June 05, 2008

2 Days Raw and counting...

I decided to take the plunge and for the summer I am eating as raw as I can possibly manage. I am hoping it is 100% but I won't offend people when we go to their homes for dinner so I might stray from time to time. I am feeling lighter already and my cloudy head is clearing. As I go through my days I will share some of the things I am making. I will share other things, too, because my whole family is not going raw like I am. They will be sharing some of my stuff but they still want cooked things, too.

So far I have been...

* drinking green smoothies
* drinking banana smoothies in the afternoons to curb the appetite
* making salads... a cole slaw I found here, (I tweaked it just a bit with craisins and dried blueberries instead of raisins and apricots and I threw in a handful of raw sunflower seeds for a bit more protein) and tonight I had a guacamole wrap with romaine lettuce
* I had a raw muesli for breakfast this morning with rice milk- very filling
* I am also eating about 5-6 times a day now
* I feel good... we shall see how things change over the coming weeks with my energy level and body composition. This shall be a great adventure.

UPDATE: added that picture of my coleslaw for you! :)

Here is the recipe as seen at Happy Foody

Sweet ‘n Sour Cole Slaw
Living on Live Foods by Alissa Cohen

Serves 2-3

1 medium cabbage, shredded (I used green and red to make it pretty)
2 large carrots, shredded
1/3 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil (I always try to cut the oil by half if your tastes will allow)
1 T honey
3 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 t sea salt
Pinch of allspice
1/2 cup raisins

Place the cabbage, carrots, and apricots in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the raisins and pour over the cabbage mixture. Cover and let sit for 1 hour. This is an important step…as it will help soften the cabbage a bit. Mix in raisins just before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Leann, I discovered your blog awhile back and am enjoying it very much. I too, lately have become interested, again, in more healthy and raw eating. It always seem to kick in, in the summer!! Keep up the good work! Grace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Leann, I tried this today and used dried cherries and cranberries in mine, it was really yummy. I think that I am going to try to eat more raw throughout the morning and afternoon and then have a "regular" dinner with the family. We will see how that goes. Thanks for sharing all your fablous recipies. I love you my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:04 AM

    Leann, wanted to let you know everyone liked the coleslaw when served at dinner last night, I also made a blueberry banana smoothie this morning for breakfast. You are starting to rub off on me. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete