December 30, 2008

Muffin Mania...


My Mom bought me a book during the time I was with her. It is a muffin book. I have not had tons of experience with making muffins and cup cakes over the years but I thought it would be a great thing to become really good at so we picked the book up. This morning I made my own variation of this basic muffin mix recipe from the book... My version is not in the book so it is now 101 muffins in my library. ;)

Makes 12 standard or 48 mini muffins

* oil or melted butter for greasing (I used a canola no stick spray for mine and it worked fine)
* 10 ounces of plain white flour
* 3 tsp. baking powder
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 4 ounces fine sugar
* 2 medium eggs (I used large eggs)
* 9 fluid ounces milk
* 6 tbsp sunflower oil or 3 ounces butter, melted and cooled (I used canola oil)
* 1 tsp vanilla extract (or whatever flavor you are looking to have)

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.

I basically sifted all the dry ingredients together and mixed the wet ingredients together and then put them together and mixed until just combined. I also added the following to mine...



* 1 cup mashed sweet potato without skins
* 1 cup mini chocolate chips (semisweet)


Here is what happened...



YUM!!!




3 comments:

  1. loving that baking stone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 AM

    question for my culinary friend...how interchangable is wheat flower for white. I know that it tends to be heavier in the end product. Is there something I can do to offset that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to keep a good texture for muffins like this or other quick breads you can substitute half the white flour with wheat. Using half and half will still give you a good texture. You can gradually go to all wheat but you must know that the gluten is higher in wheat and the all purpose white is half soft white (good for quick breads) and half hard white (good for yeast breads). A combination of the two gives the better texture for muffins and such.

    ReplyDelete