December 15, 2008

Sugar Cookies...


This is a standard recipe from my reliable Betty Crocker Cookbook (1987) that I got when I got married from Dan's cousin... Etamarie... I use it quite often.

Here is the recipe I am doing today with our Tiger Cubs for our Christmas party.

Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup margarine or butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
Granulated sugar for topping (I also buy colored sugar sprinkles or use other sprinkles for this)

Mix powdered sugar, margarine or butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients which have been sifted together before adding except for the granulated sugar (remember it is for the top right before baking). Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before using.

Makes a bit of a crumbly dough but then I work it into a ball and flatten to refrigerate.


Heat oven to 375 degrees. Divide dough into halves. Roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured cloth covered board. I often do not have a cloth so I just use parchment paper. Cut into desired shapes with 2 to 2 1/2 inch cookie cutters; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown, 7 to 8 minutes or so. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

We rolled it out, cut the shapes and then decorated...

Got a picture of the finished cookies and the boys but without permissions I won't put it here...

I will try to get a picture tomorrow night of just the cookies before we serve them. This was SO MUCH fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment