May 27, 2009

To go with my strudel...


The Strudel shared below for Daring Bakers this month


Dinner - authentic German Food night at my house! :)


Spaetzle

SPAETZLE (GERMAN NOODLES)

4 eggs
2 c. flour
Little water
3 or 4 tbsp. melted butter
Salt

Beat eggs; add flour and just a little water to make a very stiff but smooth batter. Push batter through spaetzle press or small colander into boiling water. Boil gently for a few minutes. Lift out of boiling water and rinse, under hot water; drain. Put in large bowl. Pour 3 or 4 tbsp. melted butter over Spaetzle; season with salt.


I actually run this through my pasta machine and then cut strips and boil until they float, pull them out, add butter and salt and serve with sauce and meatballs. YUM!!!




The red cabbage cooking

GERMAN RED CABBAGE

4 slices bacon, chopped ( I subbed bacon bits 'cause that is what I had)
1/4 c. onions, chopped - can use red onion if you like
6 tsp. brown sugar
3 tsp. vinegar - I used apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
4 c. shredded cabbage

Fry bacon, add onion, saute slightly. Add brown sugar and vinegar, add cabbage and simmer over low heat 20 minutes


2 comments:

  1. oh!!! I love spaetzle!! I never thought i would be able to make it at home, but your recipe makes it seem doable. I will definitely try it. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It's like dinner at my house! Spaetzle is great and I absolutely love it with meatballs... yum...

    ReplyDelete