August 12, 2009

Sloppy Joe's are a fave...


I served ours on whole wheat buns with veg and watermelon for a great summer supper.

I got the recipe from this book...

It is called Joe's To Go in the book.

I really just don't measure but if you want the basic recipe...

I start with 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of ground beef (we have six in our family and four of them are male people that eat a lot)


I brown the meat and then throw in about one small onion finely diced
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (white will do, too)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
about 1 to 2 Tbsp mustard
garlic to taste
1 really large can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
sometimes I add diced Italian tomatoes, too
If it is really still dry then you can add a little water to make it more liquid but then I cook it down by simmering over low heat for about 10 minutes.

This is basically my version and a bit different from the book but I got the gist of it from the recipe and have just played with it over the years. I hope you will try it... they are really great!

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever do Cooking Once a Month? I've heard a lot about it... sounds intense!

    These sloppy joes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete