April 02, 2010

Visiting Local Ethnic Markets...

One of the best kept secrets in just about any community is the ethnic stores in the area.  Sure, you could find some ethnic foods in the local Walmart or grocery store like Albertson's or whatever is your local chain but to really get what you need you should find out where your ethnic grocery stores are located.  I often find those specialty items I am looking for at a much better price at those small markets and I get more specialized advice on how to use products or even recipes.  All I have to do is ask the proprietor and I usually get a world of great tips and advice.  I love our little markets around town.  My most recent outings included our local Asian grocery...


 I picked up some spring roll wrappers, buckwheat or soba noodles, azuki beans and a couple packages of panko bread crumbs for breading.
They also have a variety of not only dry goods but a refrigerated section and a freezer section with meats and veggies, wrappers, and a ton of sauces.  It is a great full service market for Asian Cuisine items.  I love it!



...and a little Middle Eastern place called Jerusalem International Foods. It is a grocery store on one side and a dine in restaurant on the other.  They have a variety of dry goods and spices and a meat counter/deli area.  It is a fabulous find.

Today I purchased black sesame seeds, bulghur wheat for pilaf, curry powder, basmati rice, rose water and a package of Rose Turkish Delight for our weekend celebration with our family.  I was pleasantly surprised at the selection and the service.  The staff was very helpful and generous.  I will be going back again and again.

So, I challenge you to try something new.  Visit a local ethnic market and explore a new cuisine.  If you are not sure how to use an ingredient don't be shy in asking.  Step out of your culinary box and live on the wild side a bit.  You will love the results!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Hi Leann,

    Just wanted to let you know I tried to cheer for you during the readathon, but for some reason I couldn't comment on your other blog.

    Hope you're having a fantastic readathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It has been great!!! I am sorry you could not post on the other one. I have no idea why. Thanks for stopping by, though! :)

    ReplyDelete