July 20, 2011

Monster Cookies... Leann's version



There are a plethora of monster cookie recipe floating around out there but, being the personality that I am, I cannot follow their recipes to the letter.  I must make changes.  So, with that in mind here is what I do for my kiddos...

I take the basic oatmeal cookie recipe from Betty Crocker's Giant Red Cookbook I got when I first got married (BTW, the cheese pizza recipe in that thing is the BEST!!!) and I tweak it.

the basic is...

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter (softened)
1/4 cup shortening (if you don't have shortening... which I sometimes don't... then I just double the butter and it gives a little different texture but they are still delish)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups oats (I use old fashioned but the recipe calls for quick cooking... if you put old fashioned in a food processor and pulse a few times they become quick cooking.... just so you know)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (typically whatever I have on hand at the moment)

The recipe has raisins but I leave those out (when I make it sometimes I use craisins instead, too)

The recipe is one where you cream the butter/shortening and sugars together then add the egg.  In a separate bowl sift all the dry ingredients and then mix the two together... add the oats and nuts and there ya have it.

I double the recipe then...

To that I add:

1/2 cup mini M&M candies
1/2 cup mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
1/3 cup chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
1/2 cup Reeses Pieces
1/3 cup white chocolate or peanut butter chips (again... whatever is on hand)


I use a small ice cream or cookie scoop to place them on parchment on a baking sheet and then bake them for about 12 minutes or until done at 375 degrees.


They are quite chunky and gooey and yummy!!!  They freeze beautifully for lunches so you can make a giant batch and then bag them two by two for the kids school lunchboxes.

There will be a picture attached as soon as I make them this week... maybe tonight maybe tomorrow... I promise!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Can't wait to see them and also try to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not fair, they look yummy! In 3 weeks time I can have some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete