August 10, 2011

My favorite two foods in one dish...


I love brussel sprouts.  I have love, love, LOVED them since I was a little girl.  I have recently discovered the delight that is quinoa in recent years.  My new favorite "me" meal is brussel sprouts with black quinoa.  This is a recipe we did at work.  

I rinse and quartered brussel sprouts and then saute them in butter just until they start to turn a little tender.  Don't overcook them to soggy... I like that little crunch texture they still have. 

While I saute the brussel sprouts I cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the packaging.  This particular quinoa came from Indian Harvest... a bean and grain place that is used by our local culinary school.  I got this particular one as a sample from them in the mail.  

Once both are cooked, I toss them together and add a little salt and pepper to taste.  Very simple... very delicious.  We have also made this and tossed it with a pesto sauce.  Great vegan meal by itself or as a side with your favorite meat dish.   

2 comments:

  1. What a neat and simple recipe. We use only quinoa pasta these days. We love the flavor. I'm always looking for new ways to serve brussel sprouts. They are not my favorite and so I do need to spice them up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! I love both as well. Will totally make this in the fall.

    ReplyDelete