November 13, 2011

Gluten Free Time...

I have been meaning to put this up for MONTHS!  I am not gluten free but am eating much less these days with my fibromyalgia but I do bake for some gluten free clients.  First and foremost it is important to use clean and decontaminated equipment when doing this.  You do not want to use pans or machines that have been exposed to gluten.  Do a thorough cleaning before using.  If you are making the switch do a thorough FULL KITCHEN cleaning.  You don't even want to be breathing it if you are highly allergic.  This is not as necessary if you just have a mild sensitivity and can tolerate some gluten but a good cleaning can still be nice just in case.  

These are a few of my favorite gluten free blogs...















a Donut recipe I want to try soon...  Premeditated Leftovers

Other Great Resources in magazine and book form


Gluten-Free Baking Classics
My favorite so far...

Gluten-Free Baking
Own and use this one ALL THE TIME!!!

The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide

Reading this one right now and I found it at our local library.  Nice story about Elisabeth and her transition to a new way of eating.  I really like her!

The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook

Got this one a the library, too and it is LOVELY!!!

Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine

If you want to still use your bread machine... remember to really clean it well before making the transition!

Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef

One of the original gluten free bloggers!  Fabulous recipes and they are all tested and tested again.  Great stuff!!!

Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...And How You Can Too
Here is the Gluten Free Girl's story... I am reading this one from the library right now, too.

The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes
Just bought this one and cannot wait to dig in and play over the holidays with this

BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles

She has two cookbooks, actually... and she has one of the original gluten free bakeries in New York City.  Lovely recipes and beautiful books!

Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook
Found this one at our local library, too and it is spectacular!  I plan on checking it out again soon for some test kitchen work and if I really love it I will wind up purchasing it, I am sure.  :)

If you are looking for mixes this is the place to go.... Bob's Red Mill is working to provide quality gluten free mixes for your convenience!  I love Bob!!!

So, here is the start of what I have read and researched.  I am on a mission for me and for my clients to give them delicious alternatives.  So much of what is available in stores is just not good... not delicious... not satisfying.  My mission is to help change that for those who are living with this food restriction.



8 comments:

  1. Leann, I'm finding relief for my overall aches and pains by doing low carb (with low or no wheat) and taking 5-HTP. My mood is great and my energy is much better. Just thought I'd share what is working for me right now, especially on the pain front. I also take sublingual B-12. Just thankful for the relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Tell me about HTP? What is it and where do I find it? I am so glad to have reconnected with you in recent months. I love your blog! :) Not sure if you know this... my oldest finished his Eagle rank in July and got the COH in September. I know you have a soft spot for scouts, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your son! And to you! It's as much your accomplishment as a mom (and dad, too) as it is for him.

    To keep my response short (well, I hope so, anyway) I'll just refer you to this website that has a lot of info about 5-HTP.

    I've been taking it for about a week and I've noticed a huge difference in my ability to cope with everyday annoyances. It's like it's shut off my constant negative internal commentary. On top of that I feel almost no aches at all. That may also have to do with the low carb eating which is really helping my energy level immensely. Too many carbs definitely make me tired.

    I highly recommend this blog for health info. She's extremely knowledgeable and cutting-edge. I've learned so much from her. This post is especially helpful.

    And here's an amazing portal for all things cutting edge about health.

    Maria did a podcast with Jimmy Moore (the blogger in the previous link) and it about blew my mind. Here's the link if you'd like to hear it.

    I hope some of this helps you. I guess I didn't keep it short, did I? lol

    Btw, our son's COH is this Saturday and I'm thankful I now have some help with the anxiety that I've been trying to hold back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim, I picked up some 5-HTP at our local health food store yesterday. I am starting it this morning. I am excited to see if there is a difference soon.

    I also have the link for your website but I cannot seem to find your blog anymore. Did you close it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Leann! I just saw the last of my company off and have some time to be online.

    How's the 5-HTP going? How much are you taking? Be careful to read the directions about taking it because some brands say to take it with food, some not. I found out the hard way that the Natrol brand has to be taken with food or there is some serious digestive misery. Weird that some brands are like that, but some are not.

    Anyway, I take probably 400 or so mgs. a day. I take 200 in the morning and 200 at bedtime. I also am taking some GABA which aids in relaxation.

    The blog you're probably referring to is private now. But I do have a public blog. I just keep it kind of shielded if you know what I mean.

    Here's the address:



    After the crazy weekend of having company and doing our son's Eagle Court of Honor (and me having to stand up in front of everyone to receive the mother's pin), I sailed through beautifully without the usual heavy anxiety. So I can attest to the fact that it really works wonders. It also helps with appetite control so I was able to eat less under all the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am struggling with mouth ulcers and I think it is connected. Is there a gentler brand? I am taking 100mg and am sleepy all day, too... I think I need less, maybe 50mg? It has helped greatly with the achiness and pain and I like that but I cannot take the ulcer pain now. I am going to look for a lower dose but would love any suggestions on brands that are better than others if you have them. Feel free to carry this conversation to e-mail, too... I am academy252 (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks! :) Oh, and your link did not show up for your blog. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird! Okay, here's another go:

    Nutbrown Cottage

    I think I just figured out what I did wrong. Hopefully it works now.

    That's strange about mouth ulcers. Obviously, each person will react uniquely to a supplement, so maybe you should research it more before taking it again. If you decide to continue it I would probably only take it at night since it makes you sleepy.

    Since I don't know about every supplement or medication you take, I probably should've been more cautious about giving advice. So many things can play into it. I'm sorry I caused you trouble with my advice. Perhaps a different supplement would be better for you. I just know it's helped me quite a bit and wanted to share what I experienced. I do think that certain foods can play into our aches and pains. If you feel arthritic, you might want to try eliminating wheat for a week or so (after Thanksgiving, perhaps) to see if that might help. Wheat makes me feel stiff and achy as do tomatoes and peppers. The less I eat, the better for me. There's a book called Wheat Belly by a doctor who found amazing results for his patients when he asked them to go wheat-free. Many of their ailments improved greatly or even went away.

    Again, sorry for the trouble from the 5-HTP. Maybe you're allergic to the plant it's derived from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am certainly not blaming you, Kim... I am so grateful for the suggestion and I am going to try to make this work because it made me feel so much better for the few days I was on it. I am also taking Meloxicam and my thyroid med but the combination of the Mel and the HTP might be what is making me sleepier. I will look for a lower dose and take them at night with food. I had been taking without food because it said to take on an empty stomach but that just messed with my tummy too much.... I also have IBS. I am still quite adamant about finding something and your suggestion is so appreciated. I have a sister-in-law that is a pharmacist and she has studied compounding pharmacy. She will be able to help me find something milder if it exists. Please don't stop suggesting things you find helpful... I am always open to that and if it does not work... no problem... and if it does then that is awesome!

    Also, thanks for the link... your weekend sounds so wonderful... congratulations on the COH and your new Eagle Scout! <3

    ReplyDelete