July 31, 2009

A Frozen Treat...

On hot days like today there is just not a whole lot better things to eat than ice cream. I broke out the machine. I have had this particular machine for about 15 years and I love it! I made a trip to purchase a few items like a bag of ice and some rock salt and then I bought some Twist and Shout cookies. I dragged out the old recipe that I have used for years. The result was the most wonderful Cookies and Cream Ice Cream we have had in a very long time.


The particular cookbook I used was the one I put together from some old recipe cards and clippings my Meemaw used to keep. I put them into this notebook and now I have this great reference of family favorites. Here is a sampling... most things are written in Meemaw's own hand. It is a real treasure to me.


The old orange cards were actually made from cut up file folders. My Meemaw grew up and spent her early married years through the 20's and 30's so she became quite the saver and she used EVERYTHING. She never really threw anything away that could be used in some way somewhere else. She was very organized and reused things and labeled them and saved EVERY recipe she ever used. I am grateful for this wonderful resource. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that cookbook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:42 PM

    This post is full of SO much deliciousness! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete